Saturday 30 March 2019

100 year Centenary Maze

I've had a lovely Mother's Day trip today to the Centenary Maze at Crystal Palace Park. It's been on my wish list for a while as I was living in Germany when Girlguiding renovated the maze as part of centenary celebrations. (This is where the original Scout Rally was held, where some girls turned up who wanted to join in, the rest is history).  Even my teenage boys enjoyed getting to the centre of the maze, even though they scoffed as the hedges were only waist high it wasn't a dodle.

It was gorgeous weather, and lovely to hear children laughing and calling to each other and parents to try and find the centre of the maze. I love the words in the middle "follow in their footsteps, pause here a while, listen to the echoes past, present, future" we used the cheat gate to get out; as we had a table reserved at Brown & Green café at the Triangle, which I can recommend if you are over that way ever. I earned the badge!

Glad I printed off the park map as there were none to be had in the park. There were some brass pictures mounted in the ground around the maze - an owl and an oak leaf were obvious but I didn't get the connections of the other ones. I suspect there is a document somewhere about the renovation of the maze that will describe the significance of the brass pictures but I can't find it!

Image result for Girl guiding maze badge



No comments:

Post a Comment