Monday 16 October 2017

Supporting Leaders through change in Midlands Region



Midlands Region put on a wonderful Commissioners conference last weekend - I like training Commissioners they are so motivated and switched on really keen and well informed. I was doing the same training 3 times on supporting leaders through change. I had updated the Anglia change training from earlier in the year. I was surprised not many leaders were aware of the change to the code of conduct and the statement that we should all re-read the policies & guidance as it does change from time to time. There was also some that seemed to have missed out on the latest guiding magazine - apparently a box is really easy to untick on GO.

It was unusual to get the aim & objectives provided by the training organiser but in this instance the role is filled by a trainer and I think the benefits of that were evident throughout the preparation.
I was able to do Saturday's self evaluation straight after the meeting and I stopped at services on the way home on Sunday to do the 2 from Sunday - the 15 min break between sessions on the Sunday wasn't long enough to get set back up again and get a coffee from the machine. I was really grateful to the leader who recognised I needed one and brought me one a few minutes in.

The GG resources I used went down well - nobody had seen the Impact 2015 report and there was consternation that stress ted was being discontinued. We were talking about BOB and some leaders said they didn't know about the icons but then one pointed them out on the notebook above. There were still some who didn't recognise them. The air conditioning was a nightmare to control either all or nothing then the room heated up really quickly. The group work worked really well and they all bought into it with conversation being on topic. I abandoned the TED talk but passed on the reference with the power point.

I like the way the programme design goes through to the badge for the weekend - people really want badges for the camp blanket these days. The cloth thank you badge from the Region is a nice touch too. Fabulous wide game idea searching for stars but maybe the leaders who got stuck in the lift didn't think so! Gala dinner was lovely if a bit long between courses; really useful to hear updates from CHQ leads too.

I've updated my PDP and made a folder for module 5/6 for renewal in 3 years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment